Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Hot to Trot!

I dwaddled around the house for half of the morning yesterday before getting out for a run at Huddart Park. When I got there at mid-morning it was 100 degrees in the parking lot and there were only two other cars that I could see. I love being insane.

The run was actually really nice! The heat didn't bother me, I just took it way easy. My muscles felt so nice and loose it was like gliding over the trails. I was sure to be super well hydrated with my UD backpack filled with icy sports drink. I went straight up Crystal Springs Trail for 35 minutes and then back down in 26 to make it an 1:01 run in the heat. This was good heat training, since I haven't put much time in in the heat this year yet.

I saw the cutest thing on the trails that I haven't seen (or noticed) before. All of the grey squirrels were laying, sprawled on their tummies with their legs splayed out on the trails in the shade. No doubt soaking up some coolness from the dirt before the sun would shift and shine on it. They were all quite perturbed when I'd come barreling down the trail and disturb them. Some would wait until the absolute last second to move and I'd have to start taking countermeasures to avoid them sending me zigzagging like a crazy person down the trail. How dare I ruin their fun!

Today I'll hit the weights and the books. A super hot day is a good one to study for my CPT in the shade. I'm a little worried about myself now, because it's become clear to me that I can't ever go back to the 9 to 5 again. So I better get going on getting my cert!

0 comments: