Friday, July 31, 2009


My life is full of ironies.


I got this dog with the idea that -

a. I'd be running with her a lot

b. She'd probably be annoyingly hyper for a while and that I'd just have to deal with it by taking her for lots of runs.


I in fact sought out a large dog that was annoying it's owners by being too hyper in hopes of finding the ideal running partner.


She is the mellowest puppy I have ever encountered. Oh she has her underwear-stealing, shoe snatching, puppy-nibbles moments, especially before we go to the dog park in the mornings. But other than that she lays around practically all day.


And she hates going running with me.


She'll drag ass on the way out for our runs...walking behind me. She magically knows when we are turning around to go home. Then she runs beautifully! Smooth and powerful back to the barn.


Things seem to never turn out as expected or hoped. There's always a great irony in the outcomes of most of my plans. She may not be a great running partner, but she's a fabulous babysitter. She follows the girls around wherever they go and is extremely gentle with them and endlessly, rock-solid tolerant of all of their antics. She's very easy to have around because she is so mellow and thus has become more of a joy than she probable would have been if she had been that hyper dog I expected.


As with many ironies I'll take this as a gift. Maybe the Almighty knows what I need rather than what I want. And I'm thankful for what I have.

0 comments: