Monday, November 03, 2008
















Post Halloween

Well, it's done. The girls had a great time although I think they were exhausted before we ever even got out to do the trick or treating. Maya feel asleep at dinner time and had to be poked awake.

Our neighborhood has a few blocks that go ALL OUT for Halloween. Every house does a haunted house thing. One of the haunted houses reported to me that they had over 1000 trick or treaters. They made multiple candy runs throughout the night.

Nadya was quite taken by the creepiest devil decoration I'd ever seen but terrified of the goofy cute skeletons. Go figure. She kept saying, "But I LOOVE the devil monster!" to everyone who would listen. I think she really freaked some moms out because they had to ask me, "Ummm, what is she saying?" So we had to go back to look at the devil monster that was up on one of the haunted houses' balconey. She proclaimed him her friend. She's a creepy little kid.

+++++++

So with all of the family stuff going on I'm woefully undertrained for ultras. There will be no Stinson 50k...and that's okay. I'm really enjoying the family things and the upcoming holidays. I just don't have the time or the inner drive for the training. I've started doing Crossfit and Crossfit Endurance. It seems to be doing something for me! I've lost about 8 lbs and firmed up. I' definitely have more definition in my arms and abs. And I have more time to do other things. I'm hoping that Crossfit Endurance will help me regain my lost speed as it involves a lot of interval type training. I'm going to do Crossfit workouts exclusively throughout the winter to see how it affects me. I'm banking on it being a good base that I could spring off of easily and do an ultra or two from it. I find the philosophy to be interesting and I'm predicting that it will do well for my body.

Since I'll probably regain some speed I'll try my hand at some shorter races again. I haven't done a 5k in many years. It might be fun, it will definitely be painful I'm sure. But at a 5k I won't be gone for hours and my kids can watch me barf at the finish line.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Hey, I stumbled onto your blog from a blog-of-a-blog friend (I can't remember exactly but do subscribe to you rss!) Not even sure if that makes sense, but here I am!

Anyway, I'm interested in how the CrossFit and CFEndurance goes for you. I'm wondering if training for a 50k (and up) can also be accomplished while doing CF and CFE. I'm hoping to get 5 run days in while training for a 50k in Feb, then a 50-miler in the summer, then 100-miler next October. Is it possible to do CFE in the mornings and run in the evenings or is that too much?

Any advise for people who've never done CF/E but are intrigued :)

CoyoteGirl said...

Hi Pat!

Yep, I'm embarking on this CrossFit thing as sort of an experiment to see how it works. You've probably read about Carl Borg who did the AC 100 on just CrossFit and one 13 mile "long" run. It was his first 100 miler and he came in comfortably midpack which it totally amazing.

I also like the total fitness and less time aspect of CrossFit. And like I said in my post, it stands to reason that I'd regain some speed on this program. And I'd REALLY like to get back some speed because I'm just embarrasslingly slow right now.

I figured it would be a good time to do the training switch as it's winter and I wasn't planning on racing more ultras till next year. I'll report on how it's going.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I don't know where you're at but if you are in the SF Bay Area check out my other blog which is the offical site for the Tuesday Night Track club in Burlingame.